Dry type transformers are most suitable in locations where conventional oil filled transformers present a safety hazard. Some of the locations where dry type transformers are best suited are: Oil refineries, Chemical plants, Marine applications, Metro railways where there is significant safety is required against fire.
Advantages of Dry Type Transformers:
- Dry type transformers have no risk of fire
- Dry type transformers are lighter in weight compared to oil filled transformers
- It requires less floor area to accommodate
- No toxicity unlike synthetic liquid filled transformers
- Dry type transformers are have efficient noiseless operation
- Reduced installation cost
- They are Maintenance free
Type of dry type transformers:
Different type of dry type transformers are:
- Cast resin type
- Resin Impregnated type
Cast resin type transformers are Class F glass fibre reinforced epoxy resin. It can withstand 155oC continuously. The disadvantages of cast resin type transformers is tat in the event of failure, the complete unit including HV and LV winding is to be replaced, whereas, with resin impregnated transformer, only the affected winding is required to be replaced.