11 May 2011

What is Electric Traction?

Traction is defined as 'the act of drawing or pulling especially by a motive force' (drawing of carriage by horse constitute traction). In mechanical terms it is defined as the 'adhesive friction between the wheel and the surface on which it moves' (between a car tire and road). Traction system can be broadly classified as steam engine drive, internal combustion engine drive and electrical traction drives which drives the load on electricity such as diesel electric drive, battery electric drive and straight electric drive.

Steam Engine drive:

Steam engine electric drives are popular in olden days because of simplicity in design, simplified maintenance, easy speed control, low initial cost. In olden days trains were driven by the steam engine where coal is burned in the furnace and steam is produced, the steam generated is used to drive the locomotive. It has some drawbacks because of low thermal efficiency of the steam engine. Further, fire has to be banked even when locomotive is idle.

Internal Combustion engine drive:

This is non electric drive mostly used for road transport. Main advantages of the drive are low investment and flexibility of the routs and has the disadvantages of low over load capacity, uneconomical operation, high maintenance cost and short life.

Electric Traction drive:

In electric traction drive, drive is mainly by electric motors ( dc series motors) which are fed from over head distribution system generally. Supply to the locomotive constitute 15kV and frequency of about 16-2/3 to 25 cycles is used. High supply voltage reduce the current consumption and low frequency will reduce the impedance drop which enables substations to place at a distance of 50 to 80kms. Some of the advantages of electric traction drives which out rule others are:

Advantages:

  • DC series motors are employed in electric traction whose starting torque is high. Due to high starting torque it is possible to produce high acceleration rates
  • Electric locomotives require less maintenance compared to other drives.
  • As it has no smoke it is well suited in under ground transport services
  • economical operation cost
  • It is possible to apply regenerative braking in electrical locomotives. It has the advantage of about 80% of the energy spent during ascent can be pumped back during descent
  • Supply of power to the locomotive is easier through the traction substations.

Disadvantages:

  • Requires high capital cost
  • Less flexibility of the routes
  • Can cause interference with nearby communication lines.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello everyone, I'm Patricia Sherman in Oklahoma USA right now. I would like to share with you my experience of borrowing USD $185,000.00 to clear my bank draft and start a new business. It all started when I lost my house and I took my stuff because of the bank policy and I met some bills and some personal needs. So I became very desperate and started looking for funds in every way. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine, Linda told me about a credit company firm, I was intrigued by the fraud, but I was intrigued by my situation and had no choice but to get advice from my friend about this company. contacting them really doubted me because of my past experience with online lenders, did you know that little? '' Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com This company has been very helpful to me and my colleague and today, thanks to this credit company, the proud owner of well-organized work and responsibilities, they smiled back at me. So if you really need to grow or start your own business, or if you really need to borrow money in any financial hardship, we recommend you find a financial development opportunity in your business today. {E-mail:} Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com / whats-app number +393511617486.... online for credit not a victim of scam Thank you.

Unknown said...

My name is Mr. Klaus Dieter, I work for the French financial institution Crédit Mutuel with the partnership of the bank BNP Paribas, we offer you offers at an interest rate of 3% per year, to start with new projects:
- You have unpaid debt.
- Buying a new house.
- buy a new car.
- Buying a new apartment or property.
Get personal loans, business loans.
If you would like loans for setting up your business and project, do not hesitate to send us an email:
bnpfinanzenhilfe@gmail.com

Whatsapp: +4917694954827